There’s a chill in the air that signals we are heading fully into Fall, and it’s time for comfort food recipes! Very soon we’ll be setting our clocks back and it will get dark earlier and earlier. At this time of year we just gravitate towards belly-warming, heartier meals and this comforting recipe for Italian Sausage Stew delivers the goods. Our family loves this dish, and we hope you will too.
As recipes go, this one is really quite simple. In fact it should take less than 30 minutes to make, which on a busy weekday can be a lifesaver. Even though we are working from home and the kids are in virtual school, it can still be exhausting to make dinner at the end of a long day. Zoom video calls take up a lot of mental energy!
That where this recipe for Italian Sausage Stew can be an ideal solution. Easy, quick, delicious and a crowd-pleaser.
Comforting Recipe for Italian Sausage Stew
This dish is amazing left over, and I often make it knowing I will heat some up for lunch the next day. Yum!
Ingredients for Italian Sausage Stew
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (substitute dried if needed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped (substitute dried if needed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage (I prefer the package not the links because it’s easier)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 pound of small shell pasta
- 1 can of white beans (I use cannellini beans)
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Instructions to Make Italian Sausage Stew
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and stir, cooking for another 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Stir in parsley, basil, oregano and crushed red pepper.
- Place sausage meat in pot and break apart, cooking for 4-5 minutes until crumbled and browned.
- Add sweet potatoes, chicken broth and wine. Stir, cover and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta noodles and boil until almost al dente (about 6 minutes).
- Add kale and white beans, cover and cook until pasta is tender and kale is wilted, about 4-5 minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in deep bowls, sprinkling parmesan cheese on top for added flavor.
Do You Like Hearty Meals?
If you are looking for more hearty meals to serve your family, check out these favs: